CERTIFICATE IN ORAL HEALTH EDUCATION
| Inquire Now
Awesome experience, very polite and professional team.
Variety of training resources.
Role plays very helpful for delivery of OHI.
Mock exams and feedback very useful.
Convenient location and days of classes.
Advance your career as a Dental Nurse by taking this course. Gain an in depth knowledge of oral diseases and the modern methods of prevention and treatment of oral diseases. Students will study current guides, research, and reports in order to foster a better understanding of Dental Nursing. After completion of this course students will receive a Certificate in Oral Health. This course is aimed at Dental Nurses that want to improve their knowledge in the field of dentistry and advance their career.
What are the objectives of this course?
To train qualified and GDC registered dental nurses in delivering and creating awareness in oral health education, among patients and public.
Who is it intended for?
Qualified and GDC registered dental nurses working in general dental practices, dental community centres, specialist practices etc.
What marks this course apart?
Convenient location, Small groups – so more time devoted by the tutor to individual tutee. Excellent props and materials on course
What happens after requesting information?
Informal chat/ interview and submission of documents like GDC registration certificate, supporting letter from the employing dentist to validate their workplace activities and support with portfolio.
The course is designed to enable dental nurses to provide oral health advice to the patients in their dental working environment or to raise awareness on oral health education to targeted groups under the supervision of the dentist. On completion of Certificate in Oral Health Education you will be qualified to give oral health education to patients without supervision. This course also creates an opportunity for students to progress onto a Hygiene/Therapy course. The course provides verifiable CPD hours.
Timetable of session dates given on induction day.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- This course is for GDC registered dental nurses wishing to obtain a postgraduate dental nursing qualification.
- GDC registered dental nurses wishing to progress into dental hygiene & therapy, teaching, assessing. This course can increase your chances of acceptance into these courses.
- GDC registered dental nurses wishing to become oral health educators.
By the end of this course dental nurses will be able to:
- Discuss the cause and prevention of specific Oral Diseases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Have awareness of current reports, guidelines and research.
- Undertake a written examination to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of Oral Health Education.
- Demonstrate competency in providing Oral Health Education to patients through completion of a Record of Competence
In order to take the qualification, a dental nurse must:
- Be registered with the GDC
- Have the support of their employer to supervise and validate the practical workplace activities for the record of competence
- Commit to 100% attendance on the given course dates
- It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have access to the clinical requirements of the record of competence, this will not be provided on the course.
- Self motivation
- Good communication skills
There are 6 topics covered in the syllabus:
- Maintaining Good Clinical Practice.
- General Health and Disease.
- Patient Assessment and Treatment Planning.
- Patient Management.
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention.
- Management, Leadership and Working with Others
For detailed information, please refer to the NEBDN Oral Health Education Curriculum here
RECORD OF COMPETENCE
The Record of Competence is divided into three parts:
Practical Competence Assessment Sheets (PCAS)
Candidates must complete the PCAS to provide evidence of their involvement in the oral health care of 7 individuals, (4 of these must be seen on at least two occasions) and you must target at least 5 specified patient groups and all of the topics. The setting should normally be within your own place of work but may be elsewhere if appropriate.
You must choose one patient for the production of a detailed case study; this will demonstrate evidence of further reading and reflective practice. The case study must be between 2250 and 2750 words.
Supplementary Outcome – Exhibition and record of CPD
The content of the supplementary outcomes will be reviewed regularly by NEBDN but currently include: The production of an exhibition and a record of continuing professional development relating to oral health education e.g. background reading, meetings, courses etc.
This is a 90 minute written examination composed of two sections:
- Part A – 45 multiple choice questions,(MCQ)
- Part B – 30 extended matching questions,(EMQ)
ASSESSMENT AND CERTIFICATION
This course prepares students for the NEBDN examination. The following must be completed:
- Record of Competence
- Pass the written exam
FIND OUT MORE
For more detailed information about the course please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 07738297610