CERTIFICATE IN DENTAL RADIOGRAPHY
| Inquire Now
Lovely tutors, who provide great support throughout the course.
Session has lots of practical techniques to provide better understanding.
RoC support is brilliant and through emails too.
Revision classes and Mock exam are well done.
This course will develop qualified and registered dental nurses, who routinely assist during dental radiographic procedures, to practice competently and have a greater understanding of radiographic techniques being carried out in their workplace. The course provides verifiable CPD hours.
What are the objectives of this course?
To train DCPs with adequate theoretical knowledge and skills, which will facilitate them to take radiographs with best practice at their respective workplace.
Who is it intended for?
Qualified and GDC registered dental care professionals, taking intra – oral/ extra-oral radiographs at their dental practices.
To be eligible for the course you must: -Hold a recognised Dental Nursing Qualification -Be registered with the General Dental Council -Have support of your employer to support you in completion of the record of experience -commit to 100% attendance on the given course dates -Be able to meet the clinical requirements for the record of experience It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have access to the clinical requirements of the record of experience, this will not be provided on the course
What happens after requesting information?
Informal chat/ interview, along with submission of relevant documents like GDC registration certificate, supporting letter from your employing orthodontists etc.
Timetable of session supplied on induction day.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- GDC registered dental nurses who routinely take radiographs in general dental practices/ specialist practices or hospitals, wish to obtain postgraduate dental nursing qualification to further enhance your skills and knowledge.
- GDC registered dental nurses wishing to progress into dental hygiene & therapy, orthodontic therapy, teaching and assessing. Completion of the Dental Radiography course can increase your chances of acceptance into these courses.
By the end of this course dental nurses will be able to:
- Discuss the principles of radiation physics and protection
- Have awareness of current legislation and safe practice with regards to dental radiography
- Demonstrate safe use of apparatus and equipment
- Discuss film types and their uses
- Discuss radiographic faults, management and Quality rating.
- Demonstrate competency in taking intra oral, extra oral and digital x-rays through the completion of a Record of Experience.
In order to take the qualification, a dental nurse must:
- Be registered with the GDC
- Have the support of their employer to supervise and validate the practical workplace activities for the record of competence
- Commit to 100% attendance on the given course dates
- It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have access to the clinical requirements of the record of experience, this will not be provided on the course.
- Maintaining Good Clinical Practice
- Radiation Physics
- Radiation Protection
- Apparatus and Equipment
- Films and Processing
- Digital Imaging
- Principles of Imaging
- Film Handling
- Digital Imaging – Practical Instruction
- Intra Oral Techniques
- Extra Oral Techniques
- Quality Assurance
- Care of Patients
- Principles and Practice of Interpretations
- Fundamentals of Radiological Anatomy
- Identification of Common Dental Pathology
For detailed information, please refer to the NEBDN Dental Radiography Syllabus here
RECORD OF COMPETENCE
The record of competence is a form of work based continual assessment. The record of competence is a written record of workplace activities carried out under the observation of a GDC registrant.
The Record of Competence is in three parts ;
Practical Competence Assessment Sheets (PCAS) To provide evidence of your involvement in the taking of a minimum of 50 radiographs that must include at least:
10 x dental panoramic radiographs,10 x pairs of bitewing radiographs,20 x paralleling technique periapical radiographs 10 x types of other radiographs which must include: 2 x bisecting angle technique periapicals, 2 x occlusal views (can be undertaken on a dry skull), 2 x cephalometric lateral skull views (can be undertaken by simulation) and 4 x any ‘other’ type of radiograph
Guidance for the completion of the PCAS is provided and each case must be completed with both the dental nurse and the qualified witness present. Before signing each case, the witness must provide feedback on the radiograph taken and ensure that the candidate has given the correct quality rating and appropriate reasons for grades 2 or 3 quality rating.
The setting should normally be within your own place of work but may be elsewhere if appropriate to the particular technique; however, you must still gain hands on practical involvement.
Expanded Case Studies You must choose three patients for the production of detailed case studies:
1 x dental panoramic radiograph, 1 x bitewing radiograph and 1 x paralleling technique periapical radiograph.
The content of the supplementary outcomes includes -Oblique lateral mandible radiographs, Bisected angle periapical radiographs, Lateral cephalometric radiographs, a copy of the dental practice Local Rules and a record of continuing professional development relating to dental radiography e.g. background reading, meetings, courses.
This is a 90 minute written examination composed of two sections:
- Part A – 45 multiple choice questions,(MCQ)
- Part B – 30 extended matching questions,(EMQ)
ASSESSMENT AND CERTIFICATION
This course prepares students for the NEBDN examination. The following must be completed:
- Record of Competence
- Pass the written exam
FIND OUT MORE
For more detailed information about the course please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 0773297610.